A canal that was paved over 70 years ago has been rediscovered as part of regeneration work in Cardiff city centre.
Seventy meters of the Dock Feeder Canal on Churchill Way, which was built in the late 19th century to provide a constant supply of water to the docks in Bute, will be ‘daylit’ for the scheme, which will see the construction of two pedestrian walkways, a cantilevered stage, and rain gardens to manage surface water drainage, among other structures.
The project, valued at £6million, was designed by Atkins engineering firms – appointed by Cardiff Council – and is managed by Faithful + Gould. Knights Brown is involved in the construction.
Covered between 1948 and 1950, the canal will now be the centerpiece of a new sustainable urban district in the city center. The project, which began in February, will include new cycle paths, charging points for electric taxis and the renovation of existing highways.
It is part of a master plan to develop a new area in the city, linking Bridge Street, David Street, Charles Street, Tredegar Street, Guildford Crescent and Barrack Lane to develop a high density mixed use development, with houses , hotels, hospitality, quality offices, leisure units and retail.
Councilor Dan De’Ath, Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning and Transport at Cardiff Council, said: “The opening of the Quay Supply Canal and the new transport system will not only mark the start of a new district center for the city and will act as a catalyst for new investment, but it will play a vital role in managing traffic and surface water drainage in the city centre.
“A series of rain gardens will be constructed, with specific soil and plantings to treat surface water to remove pollutants before the water flows into the channel. This will ensure that 3,700 cubic meters of water will be diverted from the sewage system each year, reducing the cost and energy of treating this water at the Cardiff Bay sewage pumping station.